Welcome to Steve's World
Some of the following may be of interest:
Last updated 03/14/2013 21:39
- My current CV in PDF format, or a detailed ascii text-format
resume, and a short
bio (an old overview of my experience and interests).
GPG Key fingerprint = 44EE F84F 86F8 733C 9BB0 2377 605E C01F 47D4 6D61
- Thesis - "Atmospheric Resonance Waves Over the Sea of Cortes: An Experimental Case Study"
(1990) S. L. Arnold (PDF, fair quality scan). --
Part 1 of 2, and
Part 2 of 2
- My geography course info - advance info for the new meteorology
course, as well as both physical and human geography.
- Locally-hosted software packages that I maintain, mostly to
keep them current with respect to recent toolchain updates, but also to host the GNU
release of Winds on Critical Streamline Surfaces (GWOCSS).
Papers and Presentations:
- Hypergol Paper - Physical & Thermodynamic Properties of Hypergolic
Propellants: A Review and Update, presented at the JANNAF PD&CS meeting (1999, PDF format).
- AMS 2002 abstract - A Minimum
Variance Approach To Estimating Wind Direction Statistics (2001, PDF format).
- AMS 2005 abstract 1 - The Meteorological
And Range Safety Support (MARSS) System: a GIS-based Tool for Launch
Area Hazard Prediction and Visualization (2004, PDF format).
- AMS 2005 abstract 2 - Open Source
Technologies in Science Education: What's Your Geek IQ? (2004, PDF format).
- AMS 2005 slides - Open Source
Technologies in Science Education: What's Your Geek IQ? (2004, PDF format). This talk was even recorded
for posterity here
(just lucky, I guess...)
- AMS 2008 poster - Incorporating the AMS
Online Weather Studies Resources In the Design of a New Meteorology Course (2008, PDF format).
- GEM IT Review (summer 2010) -
I was one of the invited reviewers for the Global Earthquake Model Open Source IT Review, where I
ended up being the editor as well as one of the coauthors of the resulting
review report (see the GEM web site for the
summary report and
More Software and Hardware Stuff:
- There are a handful of locally hosted software packages discussed on the
- Read about more free software for both scientists and students,
or some other software packages that I've worked on - Gentoo ebuilds and
(old) RPMS. (my recent Gentoo CVS commit stats)
- Hardware and Software hints - Some hints for
various pieces of hardware with Linux and free software apps.
- My local SVN Repository - Locally hosted packages, snippets of code, and small
programs I've written or collected, including some decent examples of Ada, Python, C, etc.
See some example docs for the median filter code.
- My local Gentoo portage overlay - Working
copies of ebuilds, both experimental and mainstream. Some are older or overcome
by updated versions, but newer ones should be fine (both new as in date and new as
in version numbers).
- My Gentoo page - Gentoo presentation slides and some
LWE 2004 movie clips
Netcdf spec file for jbj:
- Netcdf spec file - hacked to build with optional
pgf90 support and f90 interface.
- The Wyrd - MP3s of my old weird progressive band
from college (originally started as three graduate-student ethnomusicologists and one geophysics
major, then we got Craig the drummer :) See Craig's artwork
if you dare; not responsible for content...
- Feedback Form - Use this email form to
send me a message (I'm trying to minimize SPAM).
This is most of my publicly available work product, other than my resume and the
Gentoo project artifacts, pretty much just a handful of conference presentations,
papers, and a poster. Most of the real content, both old and new, is available
from the root page and topic menus of this server.
The old apache server content has been retired.